Oil the Squeaky Wheel, and 19 Other Contrarian Ways to Improve Your
Leadership Effectiveness, 3rd Edition
W. J. Rinke, PhD, RD
Book (176 pgs) and Study Guide with 1 Reporting Form (49 pgs).
Just because your management
practices worked yesterday, doesn't mean they work today. Break out
of your old management rut and break through to greater success and
productivity with the techniques found in Don't Oil the Squeaky Wheel.
Written by acclaimed management guru Wolf Rinke, this humorous and
instructive guide distills a lifetime of management consulting experience
into 20 easy-to-digest and amusing lessons to help you become a more
effective leader. These cutting-edge-strategies will change the way
you lead people and have an immediate payoff on the bottom line. You'll
discover how to apply specific leadership practices that will enable you to:
- out-perform your industry peers
- apply 5 specific laws that will enable you to influence and persuade
others more effectively than ever before
- master a four step process to arrive at ethical decisions
- apply 11 specific steps that will increase your probability of succeed
in any new job
- implement reward and recognition strategies to achieve improved
performance and job satisfaction
- build and maintain a positive organizational climate in your organization
- master the 13 rules that will increase employee motivation
- discover seven ways to improve profitability without downsizing
For more information and customer comments, click
Approved by CDR
For RDs/RDNs & DTRs/NDTRs for the Professional Development
SUGGESTED Learning Need Codes:
1000, 1050, 1070, 1110, 1120, 1130, 6000, 6070, 6080,
7000, 7020, 7040, 7050, 7090, 7150, 7190, 7200
SUGGESTED Performance Indicators (PIs):
1.2.1, 2.3.2, 2.3.4, 2.3.5, 3.1.1, 3.1.3, 3.1.5, 3.1.7, 3.2.2, 3.2.4, 4.1.1, 4.2.3, 8.3.7, 14.1.3, 14.1.7
DON'T SEE your Performance Indicators or Code Listed here?
There are many Performance Indicators (PIs) that are applicable we can't list them all &
Per CDR you may use ANY PI or CODE as long as it relates to your Learning Plan.
For details click here.
Share with a friend and Save! Click here for important information about
To order an ADDITIONAL Reporting Form click below:
Oil the Squeaky Wheel, and 19 Other Contrarian Ways to
Leadership Effectiveness, 3rd Edition
Wolf J. Rinke, PhD, CSP, RD
A self-directed accredited learning program approved
for 20 continuing professional education units
©2020 Wolf Rinke Associates, Inc. All rights reserved
for the book and ALL portions of this self-directed accredited learning
program. Reproduction in whole or part without written permission
from the author, except for brief excerpts, is prohibited.
Pamela Fuess: "Easy read-this management system
works and makes sense! Great stories & examples.
Enjoyed the 'smile'
Suzanne Correnti: "The book was outstanding--made
me think in ways I could handle staff and concerns--to the best outcome.
Loved 'thinking outside the box!' I shared the information with my brother
who has his own business--that's how excellent the book was."
Linda Corrigan: "The book is very practical and straight
forward. It gets right to the point regarding what works and what doesn't."
Beverly Hernandez: "The course was easy to read and
understand. It should be required reading for all managers."
Susan MacInnes: "My favorite part was on Coaching.
I have many new positions and am developing complex programs and feel
that the steps provided will really help get the outcomes I am looking
Michelle Parker: "The book was a pleasure to
read and full of useful information. I looked forward to reading each
chapter and laughed a lot. It is not often that I've found a self-directed
course to be so enjoyable!"
Laura Ritter: ". . . it was the best of all your publications!
It was practical, well written, presented in an understanding and simple
format, humorous, and filled with so many personal AH-HA moments. I can't
thank you enough for sharing your invaluable years of experience!"
Susan Rogers: "Easy to read, concise, very applicable."
Kelly Pendleton: "Very well balanced . . . touched thoroughly
on all aspects of team management and self management."
Cathryn Anderson: "I thought the book was insightful and really
the way businesses should be run."
Dawn Morrell, RD LDN: "This material is practical and inspiring.
Jackie Overton: "I really enjoyed the way the book was written.
It kept my attention."
INTRODUCTION AND OVERVIEW
Welcome to Don't Oil the Squeaky Wheel, and 19 Other Contrarian Ways
to Improve Your Leadership Effectiveness, a self-directed accredited
learning program. This program consists of a book of the same title
by Wolf J. Rinke, PhD, CSP, RD, and this study guide.
This program is designed to help you internalize the leadership imperatives
which are essential to your success in the 21st century. It is also
designed to help you earn 20 continuing professional education units
This learning program is a Level 2 Continuing Professional Education
(CPE) program approved for 20 CPE units (CPEUs). Level 2 means that
you have general knowledge of the literature and professional practice
in the areas covered. The focus of the program is to enhance knowledge
To get the most out of this self-directed accredited learning program,
it is suggested that you adhere to the following four steps:
Step 1: Review the objectives in this study guide.
Step 2: Read and study the Don't Oil the Squeaky Wheel, and 19 Other
Contrarian Ways to Improve Your Leadership Effectiveness book and the
articles in this study guide. Be sure to complete all self-assessment
instruments and any other exercises contained in the book.
Step 3: Assess what you have learned by answering the questions contained
in this study guide.
Step 4: Compare your answers to the answer key, which you will find
at the end of the study guide. If you scored at least 80% correct, you
have completed the program and are ready to transfer your answers to
the CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION (CPE) REPORTING FORM in front
of this study guide. If you scored less than 80% correct, re-read the
appropriate chapters in the book until you score at least 80%.
After you have successfully completed the program complete the CPEU
REPORTING FORM and:
Mail to: Wolf Rinke Associates, Inc., 13621 Gilbride Lane, Clarksville, MD
Or fax to: (410) 531-9282,
Or submit on-line at www.easyCPEcredits.com.
We will email your Certificate of Completion.
When you submit your CPEU Reporting Form to us via mail, fax or www.easyCPEcredits.com,
be sure to write your correct email address in the space provided on
the CPE Reporting Form. If writing by hand, be sure to print your email
To ensure that our emails are delivered to your inbox (instead of
your junk/spam folders), please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your
Address Book or Safe List of allowed email senders. Also, be sure to
allow attachments from this email address.
Enjoy practicing Contrarian Leadership!
If you have questions or suggestions, please write or call:
Wolf J. Rinke, PhD, RD, CSP, 800-828-9653, WolfRinke@aol.com
As a result of studying and applying the concepts presented in this
book, you will be better able to:
- Transform knowledge into a powerful change in behavior
- Apply specific leadership practices that will enable you to out-perform
- Master seven strategies that will enable you to be respected by
your team members
- Differentiate between management and leadership
- Assess how well you practice contrarian leadership
- Differentiate among six specific leadership styles and apply the
one that will enable you to build a positive organizational culture
- Apply five laws that will enable you to influence and persuade
- Develop a positive explanatory style
- Avoid utilizing five habits of highly unsuccessful leaders
- Master a four step process to arrive at ethical decisions
- Apply 11 steps that will increase your probability of succeed in
any new job
- Take advantage of practicing KID (Kick in Desire) instead of KITA
(Kick in the A_ _.)
- Implement reward and recognition strategies that will achieve improved
performance and job satisfaction
- Treat all team members as if they are volunteers
- Implement nine steps which will enable you to create and disseminate
an empowering organizational philosophy
- Build and maintain a positive organizational climate in your organization,
- Focus team members' energy through the power of a Humongous Overarching
- Implement eight steps that will make your HOG come alive
- Master six steps that will increase the level of trust in your organization
- Recognize why "oiling the squeaky wheel" will decrease
performance and motivation
- Master 13 rules to increase employee motivation
- Apply eight steps that will enable you to become a highly effective
- Discover the power of pushing decisions down to the lowest possible
- Implement a highly effective quality service strategy that will
exceed customers' expectations
- Discover seven ways to improve profitability without downsizing
- Apply five strategies that will obviate the need for downsizing
- Master four ways to avoid the need for future downsizing initiatives
- Apply five steps to make the most of every 24 hours
- Get more done in less time
- Balance your life and conquer stress
- Lead effectively during tough times
- Improve communication accuracy
- Apply ten strategies to deal more effectively with difficult people.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Knowledge Is Not Power
Chapter 2: Management and Leadership Theories Do Not Work
Chapter 3: Be Selfish
Chapter 4: Don't Manage People
Chapter 5: Don't Be Proud
Chapter 6: Don't Be Tough
Chapter 7: Don't Play to Win
Chapter 8: Don't Prove Yourself
Chapter 9: Practice KID, not KITA
Chapter 10: Don't Have People Work for You
Chapter 11: Don't Focus on the Bottom Line
Chapter 12: Don't Have Goals and Objectives
Chapter 13: Trust All People All the Time
Chapter 14: Don't Oil the Squeaky Wheel
Chapter 15: Don't Worry About Pay
Chapter 16: Don't Tell People What to Do
Chapter 17: Don't Satisfy Customers
Chapter 18: Don't Downsize
Chapter 19: Don't Respond to the Urgent
Chapter 20: on't Be Committed
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Wolf J. Rinke, PhD, RDN is the president and founder of Wolf Rinke Associates, Inc., a company that has provided high-quality CPE programs to nutrition and dietetics practitioners since 1990.
Dr. Rinke earned a BS at Drexel University, an MS at Iowa State University, a PhD in Continuing and Vocational Education (Adult Ed) at the University of Wisconsin and interned at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He participated in a test item writer workshop sponsored by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
Dr. Rinke is a past Adjunct Associate Professor, Graduate School of Management & Technology at the University of Maryland, and a former Adjunct Faculty Member of the School of Continuing Studies at The Johns Hopkins University.
He has served as past president of the District of Columbia (DC) Dietetic Association and has been honored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics with the Award for Excellence in the Practice of Management, the Outstanding Dietitian of the Year Award, and the Outstanding Service Award, in addition to delivering the Lenna Frances Cooper Lecture.
Dr. Rinke has served in numerous leadership roles at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Chair of the Scholarship Committee for Dietitians in Business and Communications; Chair of the Communication Committee, Honors Committee, and Licensure Panel and Ethical Practices Task Force for the Commission on Dietetic Registration; Chair of the Area Coordinating Committee and Chair for the Code of Ethics; Member of the Resource for Education Programs Committee; Member of the House of Delegates; and Member of the Board of Directors.
Dr. Rinke is the author of more than 500 articles, numerous CPE self-study programs, and several popular books including Make It a Winning Life: Success Strategies for Life, Love and Business; Winning Management: 6 Fail-Safe Strategies for Building High-Performance Organizations; and Don’t Oil the Squeaky Wheel and 19 Other Contrarian Ways to Improve Your Leadership Effectiveness.
His popular CPE programs available at www.easyCPEcredits.com include:
- Beat the Blues: How to Manage Stress and Balance Your Life
- Win-Win Negotiation: Fail-Safe Strategies to Help You Get More of What You Want
- Time Management: How to Stretch the Time Rubber Band
- Knock ‘em Alive Presentation Skills: How to Make an Effective Presentation for 1 to 1,000
- The Power of Communication: How to Increase Your Personal and Professional Effectiveness
- Manage Electronic and Traditional Meetings and Correspondence More Effectively
- Delegation and Coaching: High Impact Strategies for Doing More with Less
- Don’t Oil the Squeaky Wheel and 19 Other Contrarian Ways to Improve Your Leadership Effectiveness
- High Impact Strategies for Achieving Peak Team Performance
- Develop a Positive Attitude: Live a Healthier and More Productive Life
- Goals—Your Road Map to Success
- Manage Your Energy: Get More Done and Have More Fun
Special thanks to the following individuals for their careful review.
Laura J. Ritter, MS, RDN, CDE
Center for Diabetes and Nutrition Education
St. Joseph Mercy Health System
Ann Arbor, MI
Don Miller, RD, CEC
Don Miller & Associates
Richard F. Patterson, EdD, RD
Adjunct Associate Professor
Hospitality Management and Dietetics
Western Kentucky University
Bowling Green, KY
Return to the top of page
If you prefer to order by phone, mail
or fax click below
or click here to contact us with
For information about our other products and
services return to the sidebar at the top of the page.