Power of Communication:
How to Increase Your Personal and Professional
Effectiveness, 2nd Edition
Wolf J. Rinke, PhD, RDN, CSP
Manual with 1 Reporting Form, 177 pgs.
Do you have few misunderstandings, disagreements or fights? Do your
patients, employees, colleagues, spouse and children follow your instructions
virtually all of the time? Are you able to persuade people to do what
you want them to do even if they don't feel like it? Are people anxious
to follow you? In short, are you getting all you want at work and at
home? If your answer is "no" to at any of these, then this
program is for you. In this fun and easy-to-read manual you will discover fail-safe strategies that will enable you to:
- eliminate barriers to effective communication.
- master the art of "reality testing."
- ask questions that lead to improved results.
- achieve win-win outcomes.
- discover how to consistently make the other person right.
- improve your ability to empathize with others.
- share information through disclosure and feedback.
- minimize cognitive distortions.
- develop charisma, social competence and people skills.
- master strategies to develop trust.
- build genuine relationships and intimacy.
- discover how you can avoid hurting other people's feelings.
- communicate congruently, authentically and effectively.
- improve your active and empathetic listening skills.
- influence and persuade others.
- take advantage of the benefits associated with asking questions.
- deal more effectively with "difficult people."
- achieve dramatic improvements in your personal and professional
Click here for more information and customer
Approved by CDR, CBDM
For RDs/RDNs & DTRs/NDTRs for the Professional Development
SUGGESTED Learning Need Codes:
1000, 1040,1050, 1070, 1130, 6000, 6020, 6070, 6080, 7000, 7020, 7150,
SUGGESTED Performance Indicators (PIs):
1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.8, 1.3.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3, 2.1.5, 2.1.6, 2.1.7, 2.1.8, 2.2.1, 2.2.5, 2.3.3, 3.3.4, 4.1.4, 9.1.3, 9.6.1, 9.2.2, 11.2.8, 11.3.3
DON'T SEE your Performance Indicators or Code Listed here?
There are many Performance Indicators (PIs) that are applicable we can't list them all &
Per CDR you may use ANY PI or CODE as long as it relates to your Learning Plan.
For details click here.
Share with a friend and Save! Click here for important information about
To order an ADDITIONAL Reporting Form click below:
Power of Communication:
How to Increase Your Personal and Professional
Effectiveness, 2nd Edition
Wolf J. Rinke, PhD, RD, CSP
Copyright 2013 Wolf Rinke Associates, Inc.
Nancy Cronier: "Not only is your book an invaluable read and resource, I appreciate the Insight Breaks and laughed out loud at many of the Humorous Insight Breaks."
Amy Higgins: "Well written! I like the humor! Easy to read and follow."
Jody Hagan: "I completed your home study course last night and tried out some of the suggested approaches on a client today 'feel, find, found' which worked like magic!!! I am thrilled. Great presentation and I am finding a lot on benefit with all of the info I read. So many techniques that are helpful that they don't teach in Nutrition school!"
Diane Valverde: "This CPE program was so well organized and written.
...it was hard to put down. I've been putting the concepts I've learned
into action already. Thank you!"
Introduction and Overview
Do you have few misunderstandings? Few disagreements or fights? Do your patients, employees, colleagues, spouse and children follow your instructions to the T virtually all of the time? Are you able to persuade people to do what you want them to do even if they don't feel like it? Are people anxious to follow you even in extremely challenging situations? In short, are you getting all you want at work and at home? If your answer is "no" to at least three of these, then this CPE program is for you. You will discover fail-safe strategies that will enable you to communicate more effectively with your boss, your employees, your colleagues, your significant other, your children and maybe even your pet! In other words, you will master powerful communication strategies that will improve your personal and professional effectiveness plus at the same time earn 20 level 2 continuing professional education units (CPEUs).
To get the most out of The Power of Communication self-directed learning program it is suggested that you follow these seven steps:
Step 1: Review the objectives.
Step 2: Read the information in this CPE program.
Step 3: Complete all self-assessments and other exercises throughout this program.
Step 4: Assess what you have learned by completing the self-assessment questions at the end of the CPE program.
Step 5: Compare your answers to the answer key. If you scored at least 80 percent correct (80 questions), you have passed this program and are ready to transfer your answers to the CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION (CPE) REPORTING FORM. If you score less than 80 percent correct, read it again until you get at least 80 percent of the answers correct. Complete the following optional steps to achieve real improvements in your communication skills:
Step 6: Apply what you have learned by practicing The Power of Communication strategies at every possible opportunity, because the more you practice the better you will get.
Step 7: Monitor your progress and keep using the communication strategies that increase your effectiveness, and quit using those that do not.
To receive your well-deserved 20 CPEUs you must complete the CPE REPORTING FORM and:
Submit it on-line at www.easyCPEcredits.com,
Or fax it to: (410) 531-9282,
Or mail it to: Wolf Rinke Associates, Inc., 13621 Gilbride Lane, Clarksville, MD 21029.
Upon receipt of your CPE Reporting Form, we will email you a Certificate of Completion within 2-5 days.
When you submit your CPE Reporting Form to us via www.easyCPEcredits.com, fax or mail, be sure to write your correct email address in the space provided on the CPE Reporting Form. If writing by hand, be sure to print your email address clearly.
To ensure that our emails are delivered to your inbox (instead of your junk/spam folders), please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your Address Book or Safe List of allowed email senders. Also, be sure to allow attachments from this email address.
I would like you to become a highly effective power communicator so that you can increase your personal and professional effectiveness. If you have questions, or suggestions, please feel free to email me.
Wolf J. Rinke, PhD, RDN, CSP, WolfRinke@aol.com
Goal and Objectives
"The problem with communication ... is the illusion that it has been accomplished."
--George Bernard Shaw
To provide you with powerful communication strategies that will enable you to increase your personal and professional effectiveness.
As a result of studying and applying the concepts presented in this CPE program you will be better able to:
- Recognize why people tend to be extremely poor communicators.
- Be aware that words do not have meanings.
- Take advantage of the power of verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Eliminate barriers to effective communication.
- Take advantage of "reality testing."
- Ask questions that lead to improved results.
- Avoid making fundamental attribution errors.
- Utilize "Adult" language.
- Accept total responsibility for the entire communication process.
- Listen actively.
- Express yourself in positive terms.
- Master the PIN Technique.
- Convey integrity at all times.
- Achieve more win-win outcomes.
- Discover how to consistently make the other person right.
- Assess your level of communication effectiveness.
- Make the other person glad that they communicated with you.
- Contrast different types of communication.
- Take advantage of the nine types of nonverbal communication.
- Contrast effective, efficient and power communication.
- Identify the linear, interactive, transactional and power communication models.
- Reduce various types of noise that interfere with communication effectiveness.
- Develop a "positive explanatory style."
- Improve your ability to empathize with others.
- Share information through disclosure and feedback.
- Minimize cognitive distortions.
- Develop charisma, social competence and people skills.
- Recognize the benefits of being honest.
- Let go of the past.
- Decrease dysfunctional ego needs.
- Assess your level of authenticity.
- Master strategies to develop trust.
- Build genuine relationships and intimacy.
- Master specific questions that will cause you to lie less often.
- Discover how you can avoid hurting other people's feelings.
- Communicate authentically.
- Be congruent.
- Assess your listening skills.
- Recognize that most people are extremely poor listeners.
- Eliminate external and internal factors that interfere with listening effectiveness.
- Reduce various forms of non-active listening and other listening "short-cuts.
- Recognize the seven benefits associated with listening actively.
- Enhance empathetic listening skills.
- Assess how well you are able to influence and persuade others.
- Take advantage of the law of liking.
- Apply the law of reciprocity.
- Take advantage of the law of commitment.
- Apply the law of scarcity.
- Take advantage of the law of expectations.
- Assess how well you are able to exploit the power of asking questions.
- Eliminate counterproductive behaviors generated by telling people what to do.
- Take advantage of the benefits associated with asking questions.
- Distinguish between various types of questions.
- Master the Socratic questioning technique.
- Promote self-discovery.
- Deal more effectively with "difficult people."
- Achieve dramatic improvements in your personal and professional effectiveness.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 The Short Course To Communicating More Effectively
Communication--Why Do We Have Such A Tough Time With It?
Twelve Fundamental Strategies To Help You Become A Power Communicator
Chapter 2 Communication--What's It All About?
Communication: How Well Do You Do?
Types Of Communications
Types Of Communication Based On Communication Channels
Types Of Communication Based On Style And Purpose
Effective Versus Efficient Communication
Effective + Efficient Communication = Power Communication
Barriers That Interfere With Communication Effectiveness
Chapter 3 Eleven Habits Of Highly Effective Power Communicators
1. Know Thyself
2. Manage Thyself
3. Express Yourself In Global, Internal And Stable Terms
4. Motivate Thyself
5. Empathize With Others
6. Keep Your "Window" Wide Open
7. Manage Your Intrapersonal Communication
8. Develop Charisma
9. Be Honest
10. Let Go Of The Past
11. Kill Your Ego
Chapter 4 How To Communicate Authentically
Authentic--What Does It Mean?
How Authentic Are You?
Honesty--The Foundation For Authentic Communication
How To Communicate Authentically
How To Be Congruent And Build A Powerful Bond With Listeners
Chapter 5 How To Listen Actively
Active Listening--How Well Do You Do?
Factors That Interfere With Active Listening
Forms Of Non-Active Listening And Other
What Is Active Listening Anyway?
Benefits Of Listening Actively
Strategies For Active Listening
Chapter 6 How To Persuade And Influence
Persuading And Influencing--How Well Do You Do?
How To Persuade And Influence Others
How To Take It To The Next Level
Chapter 7 The Power Of Asking Questions
How Good Are You At Asking Questions?
Counterproductive Behaviors Generated By Telling People What To Do
Seven Benefits Associated With Asking Questions
Why Don't We Make Better Use Of Questions?
Types Of Questions
How To Use Blockbuster Questions To Deal With "Difficult People"
How Take It To The Next Level
For Your Continuing Learning
Explanations To Self-Assessment Questions
About The Author
About Wolf Rinke Associates, Inc.
About the Author
Wolf J. Rinke, PhD, RDN, CSPis the president and founder of Wolf Rinke Associates, Inc., an accredited provider of quality pre-approved CPE self-study programs for nutrition professionals available at www.easyCPEcredits.com. Another division (www.WolfRinke.com) has been custom designing and delivering stimulating keynote presentations, interactive problem solving funshops, and highly effective consulting, coaching, and educational services since 1988. He specializes in building peak-performance teams and organizations, and providing one-on-one executive coaching that leads to dramatic improvements in performance and productivity.
Dr. Rinke is a. . .
- Highly effective management consultant and executive coach with more than 30 years of hands-on management and leadership experience.
- Certified speaking professional (CSP*) who is internationally known for his ability to energize, entertain, and empower. (*CSP--a credential earned by fewer than 500 professional speakers worldwide)
- Widely published author of numerous CPE programs and bestselling books such as MAKE It a Winning Life: Success Strategies for Life, Love, and Business; Winning Management: 6 Fail-Safe Strategies for Building High-Performance Organizations; Don't Oil the Squeaky Wheel and 19 Other Contrarian Ways to Improve Your Leadership Effectiveness; and Leadership--Helping Others to Succeed.
- Noted management, leadership, and personal development expert, ranked by Executive Excellence magazine among "the top 100 minds" in the field of personal and leadership development along with Tom Peters, Oprah Winfrey, Stephen Covey, and others.
- Media personality featured on CNN and more than 300 other TV and radio shows.
- Highly decorated, retired lieutenant colonel of the US Army Medical Specialist Corps.
- Former adjunct associate professor of management at Johns Hopkins and U. of Maryland.
Some of the organizations that have benefited from Dr. Rinke's services include:
Am Red Cross * ARAMARK * Baxter * BCE Emergis (Canada) * Bristol-Myers Squibb * Centre for Leadership-Ontario (Canada) * Cigna * Delta Air Lines * Dept of Health & Human Svcs * Dept of Homeland Security * Dole •Dong Energy (Denmark) * Duke Power * EAC (Singapore) * Giant TMC (Malaysia) * Institute for Management Studies * ISS A/S (Denmark) * Manor Care * Marriott * Maryland Bankers Assn. * MBNA Bank * Merck * Michelin * Mississippi Power Co * Motorola * NCR * NCI * Natl Health Corp * Natl Restaurant Assn * Natl Speakers Assn * NORTEL * Office of Personnel Mgt * Ontario Hospital Assn (Canada) * Perez Companc (Argentina) * Pierce Leahy * Rockwool (Denmark) * SAP AG (US & Germany) * Sargento Foods * Select Service Partner A/S (Denmark) * Seneca Foods * ServiceMaster * Sinar Mas Group (Indonesia) * Sodexho * Sysco * Texas Instruments * Toms Gruppen A/S (Denmark) * UCB Pharma * US Air Force * US Army * US Foodservice * US Navy * Veterans Admin * Warner Bros. * Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories plus many others throughout North America, Europe, and the Pacific Rim.
Several of his popular CPE programs available at www.easyCPEcredits.com include:
- Time Management: How to Stretch the Time Rubber Band
- Win-Win Negotiation: Fail-Safe Strategies to Help You Get More of What You Want
- Knock 'em Alive Presentation Skills: How to Make an Effective Presentation for 1 to 1,000
- Winning Management: 6 Fail-Safe Strategies for Building High-Performance Organizations
- How to Maximize Professional Potential and Increase Your Earning Power in Nutrition and Dietetics
- The Power of Communication: How to Increase Your Personal and Professional Effectiveness
- Manage Electronic and Traditional Meetings and Correspondence More Effectively
- Delegation and Coaching: High Impact Strategies for Doing More with Less
- Don't Oil the Squeaky Wheel and 19 Other Contrarian Ways to Improve Your
- Leadership Effectiveness
- Leadership: Helping Others to Succeed
- Motivational Strategies to Boost Team Performance
- Develop a Positive Attitude: Live a Healthier and More Productive Life
Return to the top of page
If you prefer to order by phone, mail
or fax click below
or click here to contact us with
For information about our other products and
services return to the sidebar at the top of the page.